SailNet Community - View Single Post - Towing and trailer questions.
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing and trailer questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
I bought a truck about a month ago, found an older 1 ton pickup, heavy duty fame, big frame mounted hitch, trailer brake box, it could pull a house if I hooked it up, but in my price range a little older and uglier and more functional was worth more than a little newer and prettier. I do need to double check that transmission tho, thanks.
Check for a small radiator in front of the main radiator. It may already have a transmission cooler. Most one tons come from the factory with one (the one ton we had at work even had a temperature gauge for the transmission on the dashboard).

And, you're right, a one ton should pull just about any boat that will fit on a normal trailer and even some bigger ones. I towed a 26 foot sailboat on a trailer with our one ton (I don't remember the weight, but it had a solid lead keel) on a triple axle trailer, and it barely knew it was back there.

The good thing about heavy trucks like one tons, is that they are usually good buys used, because they are so overbuilt, that unless they were hauling and towing heavy stuff all of the time, they are probably in better mechanical shape than the cosmetics indicate.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook