SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nav Station Design
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007

Mithril is on a distinguished road
Nav Station Design

I am currently designing the Nav Station on my 36' sailboat and have read though all the articles I could find on the forum. Initially I plan on using the boat around the Puget Sound in Washington and Gulf Islands in BC. However I would like it to be setup for offshore sailing.

I especially appreciated the article from Sue & Larry title "Setting Up Your Nav Station". I plan on having both 110 and 12 volt outlets at the Nav Station and good lighting with both white and red bulbs. However they did not get into what electronics or equipment should be included.

Currently, I plan on using NavMan instruments and Autopilot controlled by PC with Nobeltec Admiral software. There will actually be two PC's. One micro permanently installed in the boat and a laptop for the Nav Station in case one fails.

I also plan on having radar though I have not decided if I will go with a Nobeltec unit or another manufacturer. I am deciding on the VHF, but it would have DSC and a external PA system. I also plan to add a SSB for offshore comms and weather fax to the PC.

What else should I have at the Nav Station? What do you have installed in your Nav Station?

With weather from both the VHF and SSB do I really need Navtex or a dedicated weatherfax?

How important would a boat cell phone or sat phone be?

Thanks for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook