Join Date: Jun 2006
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 13
Here are some of the things I want in my next nav station.
1) LCD display mounted in the panel and hooked up to my KVM switch
2) USB ports on the panel for both keyboard and mouse, also on KVM
3) Lots of fuses in a nice fuse panel
4) Huge (by boat standards) area for chart storage (not folded!)
5) Lots of light, place for pencils and rulers and such, etc.
6) LOTS of switches in an easy to remove panel that do absolutely nothing.
7) Inside I'd like one of those ultra low power micro-atx board computers that doesn't need a fan, the kind that the kids are putting into their automobiles now, running linux on a solid state drive. Want that hooked to the KVM.
I want all those extra switches because it always seems like i am wiring up some little fan, relay, or whatever, and I need a free switch to hook it to. It would be nice to just wire things up and then label the panel and be done with it.