SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bummer... Hate equipment failures
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Bummer... Hate equipment failures

When we were in Annapolis our rigger warned us that the torque tube on our furler had a broken weld and could fail. It's a Harken Mark I furler, circa 1984. Three weeks ago I called Harken to see about a replacement and they needed a part number off the drum. I got it to them last week, and it turned out they sold the LAST torque tube made the week before!

So we're out on vacation this week cruising around Lake Champlain. It's blowing 15+ yesterday. We went to reef the genny when it went over 15 and snap... there goes the last weld and our furler (the torque tube holds the extrusion, which holds the sail, in place, so without it you can't furl the sail). We dropped the genny and lashed it to the foredeck and headed in.

We've never done any rigging on Champlain so I don't know anyone. I looked on the Harken website for authorized dealers and found one based at our next stop - Plattsburgh NY. I got permission from the wife to order a new Harken Mk IV furler and it's being overnighted for a Thursday install, along with a new forestay. Hopefully the guy is good! He said he was booked but he'd squeeze us in for the full day install. And then we'll continue our vacation without missing a beat! (unless the furler doesn't get there on Thursday or we're missing a part).

I'm trying to figure out whether this is a bad or a good thing
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 07-03-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook