SailNet Community - View Single Post - Main Sail Reefing?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007
SEMIJim SEMIJim is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,708
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sailaway21
And, for the record, it is a sheave and not a pulley or pully. The sheaves in this case will reside in cheek blocks, tail blocks, and perhaps a floating block. Pulleys are generally found in Erector sets or attached to the limb of an Oak tree for automobile engine removals, both lubberly pursuits. (g)
It seems usage kinda wanders around a bit. Strictly speaking, a sheave is just a grooved wheel. Can't to much with that 'cept roll it around on the floor . A block can refer to either the frame w/in which a sheave is mounted, or the entire assembly. Similarly: Pulley can refer to just the grooved wheel (sheave), or the entire assembly.

Interestingly enough: Of the the three books on sailing I currently have on loan from the library, each of them refer to the assemby as a "block" (most commonly) or "pulley," with only one mentioning "sheave," in passing.

So there you go.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook