SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you feel about catamarans?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

The only conclusion a non-sailor could reach from this thread is that internet statistics and lies are very closely related.

I'm always surprised at the folks that overlook useful phrases like "IMHO" and "I guess," and forget calculations or references. So many attempts at saying "all things being equal" when they clearly are not. Makes for a lot of boorish posts.

Are resent example:
"If you build a cat and a mono without floatation of the same material then cats have a higher chance of sinking by any assessment, as they have two hulls. A breach in either hull will sink a cat if it's not compartmentalized or lacks positive floatation. There are many cats that have neither and they can, and have sunk commonly enough."

a. Many cats do have compartmentalization, because without a keel it is easy. When I took delivery of my boat, a sensor had been installed incorrectly, and it flooded (about 8 inches). That meant the water was at the floor boards, so we simply finished the trip, another 36 hours. The fault was later repaired without hauling.

b. Even without compartmentalization, the same size hole on a cat will generally be much closer to the surface and fill more slowly. The cat has a much better chance of pumping.

The last sentence is true enough, but I'm not sure what it proves. Personally, I find it disappointing that some cats are built without compartmentalization. With monohuls I understand that the same investment might be better spent on inherent strength, which many good builders do.

Sinking at dock is probably more equivalent. But most sinking at dock are sloppy maintenance and are very avoidable. The example post suffers very badly from the "all things being equal" fallacy. Sloppy.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook