SailNet Community - View Single Post - Irwin - Bluewater Capable???
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014

Total Chaos is on a distinguished road
Re: Irwin - Bluewater Capable???

I think that there are certainly many boats that are better equipped for blue water sailing right after they are built. However IMHO many of these shortcomings can be addressed, with slight modification, reinforcements, grab rails etc. Not saying that this will necessarily be cheap to do on some boats. There are some hull designs and rigs that provide for better upwind sailing etc. and some that provide much better livability. So yes, I'd agree that there are "better blue water boats" from one to the next. I think that just about any good sized sailboat can be fit out to cross oceans, is it cost effective? well I can't say that...

As to the Irwin... the 65 was built as a world cruiser, not a charter boat, contrary to popular opinion.. The first charter version was not designed until a year after mine was built. The hull and deck joint are massively constructed. The Irwin could point better than she does, and she won't win any races I think.. unless its beam seas all the way, but overall a go anywhere boat.

As to the smaller Irwins, most I've seen appear to be sound vessels that with some upgrading and some minor modification would take you anywhere you want to go. To be fair I don't have a lot of experience with the smaller Irwins, but I haven't seen a lot of difference between an Irwin and a comparable Swan of the same age. Maybe on the fit and finish, more a lack of maintenance than poor design. Irwin's were very well designed.

Last edited by Total Chaos; 03-16-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook