SailNet Community - View Single Post - Antigua to St Barths
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
A few disclaimers first:
1) I have no experience on catamarans, I have 43 feet mono hull (Bene 423)
2)I have not done exactly this route, but have done a few (not many) in Jan or March time (which should be similar to Christmas) from Antigua to Barbuda, St. Eustatuis (Statia), to St. Martin, St. Barth Nevis, ... so all the islands around your route.

I would plan more time for this passage - it is 70 miles, so most likely you can make it in this time with a 43'Cat and "predictable" winds, but I had this year in January less then 5 knots of wind on a passage from Guadeloupe to Antigua all day long :-( Forecast was 12 to 15.
On some other occasion I had large N swells in the area (forecast) and had to slow down to make it more comfortable.
And if you have never been to Gustavia (I assume that would be your port of entry) it is better to arrive in daylight.
So I would plan either very early departure or even and overnight passage. We did so once and it was very nice. We left anchorage in Barbuda at 11 in the evening, made a nice passage and arrived in the morning to our destination.
Or you can brake the 70 miles into few smaller hops - there are very nice islands between Antigua and St.Barths. Barbuda is my favorite.
Warning: clearing out of Barbuda may be a challenge, but if you take it as adventure it is a lot of fun. Plan full day for it.
Of course if the wind is forecast to 15 knots and stays at 15 knots and with no N swell then your Cat can make the passage in 9 hours or less.
Once we had guests prone to seasickness - solution we used was: They took medications and went to sleep, others made a passage. We all arrived happy.

You said Moorings: Can you take a sister ship and start from Antigua (or some other base) - I have my boat with Sunsail and I can take either my boat or any other boat from their fleet - so why not start where you want to sail and save long passages unless this is part of the fun. It only works if you have contract which allow you to use some other boat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

full time cruising
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook