SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS36 Merlin
Thread: CS36 Merlin
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 03-15-2014
Re: CS36 Merlin

Originally Posted by fast2tack View Post
I respectfully disagree.

The Traditional is a better built boat.
The "t" has a solid glass "overbuilt" hull and the Merlin has a cored hull. Although cored might be lighter and possibly stronger when new....I prefer the solid glass hull of the "T" on a 30-35 year old boat.

All the options in the world don't make the Merlin a better built vessel.

I worked at CS yachts in the early 80's, in all facets of production, sales and commissioning.
The CS 36 Traditional's were well built and some of the best of Canadian boat building of the era. The Traditional has a loyal following and although they are over 30 years old, have held their value and the reputation as a above average "blue water" vessel.

Delivered them on both coasts and they are a pleasure to sail.

The Merlin is a whole other "animal".

Raymond Wall design (Trad.) of Camper & Nicholson fame vs. Tony Castro design (Merlin). The Merlin is a "pan" boat and has had problems with "shifting" or "cracking" as a result of the mast "butt" stressing the pan and it manifests in a nice crack on the starboard salon settee bunk. Just lift up the cushion and most have some signs of stress or complete failure in that area.
What do you mean about the Merlin being a pan boat? How is the mast attached to the keel, versus the design style of the Traditional?
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome