SailNet Community - View Single Post - Provisioning -vs- doing it ourselves
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Provisioning -vs- doing it ourselves

Um, Paul,

What ''dry goods'' do you mean?

Sorry. Having a captain onboard for the first day would be a great idea, and would contribute to the local economy. Be prepared, tho, he probably won''t be an islander, but one who works there (usually a Brit). Islanders don''t seem to be into that kind of work. Pick his brain for places to go and things to see. Sailing to Virgin Gorda for the baths should be in there somewhere. As should going to Foxy''s. But there is Bomba''s shack on the other side of Tortola. You can anchor and, yes, they really do give free food to those of the female sex who lift up their shirts (thus the sign - tits out, eat free) It only takes a moment, and you get a great barbecue dinner. If you do not want the experience - DO NOT DRINK THE TEA - it really is made of mushrooms, albeit a tiny amount, unless you go during the full moon party. Stick with the rum punch, it''s great, too, if not wanting a really awesome experience. Do not mention the mushrooms in the tea if you really want the tea! If you talk about the mushroom tea, you''ll end up getting a watered down tourist drink that really has nothing in it.

If your charter has overnight ability and you can sail to St. Lucia for a Friday night, do it. Though you will have to dock at an approved marina, you can get a cab to Gros Islet on St. Lucia. They have a "jump-up" every Friday night. They block off the streets and it''s like an outdoor festival. Best thing is that the beers are only a dollar EC, which is about 35 cents American, last time I was there. Problem is - they mostly serve Heineken, which, to me, makes you taste like you have a mouth full of chalk the next day. DO indulge in the native food - blood sausage is not as gross as you would think it is, tastes great. And there are plenty of other foods around. Crab and conch cakes abound.

Oh, conch!!

Oh, wishing I was going,

Best wishes,
MaryBeth
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook