SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any guitar players aboard?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014

CoyoteDream is on a distinguished road
Re: Any guitar players aboard?

Hello all,

I just joined this site because my wife and I and looking soon to retire from a state job, sell out stuff, and buy a sailboat for cash so we can engage in the live-aboard cruising lifestyle.

Since I have been playing professionally as a musician for 35 years and my day job includes providing music in a healthcare setting (Music Therapy), I am contemplating doing a solo acoustic/singing act while cruising to help bring in extra spending cash. I just played a steak house few days ago for $50 + $35 tips for a 2 1/2 hour gig.

I have been looking into the humidity problem in a marine environment and figured a good watertight case like those made by SKB and a dehumidifiers like those used in food prepping might help. Also, I use the Elixer strings which are coated and slow down oxidation. I tend to play enough hours anyway that I would probably need to change them before any affects of humidity set in.

Also, I will have to do more research but it seems to me string instruments do better in higher humidities that the dryer climates. The most famous Stradivarius were built in Northern Italy with very humid summers.

Any of you folks know of anyone picking up gigs around the marina areas around the US and down into the Caribbean. I figured even playing for tips would lots of fun and a great way meet people. Do they just play sea/sailing songs and Jimmy Buffet songs? I am more into performing the Jerry Jeff Walker, Bob Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Leonard Cohen, and Tom Waits singing/sonwriter tunes.

Anyway, thanks. I figured just posting this first post is one of my first steps in making the dream happen.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook