SailNet Community - View Single Post - Antigua to St Barths
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by courl
Hi Tomaz 423!
What do you exactly mean with challenging clearing out of Barbuda?
You can clear out of Barbuda in Codrington (the only town there).
You can not moor or anchor in front of Codrington,

You either anchor on the South coast (East of Palmetto point), try to get a taxi (call them on mobile if it works or VHF is someone is listening) and let the taxi drive you to Codrington. We never tried this.

Or, you can anchor on the West side (in Low bay, close to Palm Beach House), Dinghy to shore, drag the dinghy over a sand bank (perhaps 100 feet), dinghy across the lagoon (about 1.4 miles) to Codrington and than the fun begins.
The town is small, but the 3 offices (port, customs and immigration) are all in different locations and you must find them in the right order. There are no official hours, so it is most likely you will visit one or more of the officials in their homes or local bar. And then you have to go to the airport (perhaps 30 min walk) to pay exit tax and return to police station to get final stamp.
So, if you take it as just clearance procedure it is bad. But everybody is very friendly, all town knows what you are doing and where the next officer is (chances are you are the only tourist in town), so it really is quite funny. And you can take this as "site seeing".
One official was not in the office and not at home (I think he went fishing), but it was not a problem: His wife stamped out boat papers in the living room while her little daughter was doing her homework.

You can do a bird sanctuary visit (recommended) and than clear out and leave next day.

N Swells: My wife tried to sleep in the forward cabin in the Oceanis 423 on a passage, but she could not, because she was often lifted from the berth and after she hit the overhead she would land on the berth again (if lucky) or on the shelf (if unlucky).
The aft cabin was more acceptable (but not comfortable).
Water over the decks and in the cockpit was more a rule then exception that night. Going forward to fix something would be a challenge.
But the wind was great (25) I liked it. As this was my first time in the area I thought this was normal.
And I agree 100% with Cam. Don't be on a tight scedule or you can get a bumpy ride. Your Cat will take it, but what about the crew?
It should be a vacation.
I have few friends, who like it this way, but I know more who prefer it easy.
Anyway, have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

full time cruising
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook