SailNet Community - View Single Post - Internet/Broadband Access
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007

prariedog is on a distinguished road
Internet/Broadband Access

We are new to the sailing community. I love my internet. We are in Carolina Beach N.C. right now. I have been using Sprint with the Ovatel Wireless Ovationi U720 USB Broadband Modem.

I am using it with a Wison Direct Connect Amplifier. With the amp I can get a broadband signal about 15 miles away from any cell towers sometimes further.
At our location right now i do not have to use the amp and getting evdo broadband speed at 800kpbs.

I have used this setup all over the United States with very little problem except in very rural or wilderness areas.

Hopefully I will be able to get the same benifits from it on the water. Also I have a wireless router that I hope to be able to use to let other get internet access that cannot where we are moored or docked.

We are also broadcasting Live Video which takes up alot of bandwidth so we have the bandwidth set to 64kbps which leaves room for over head and surfing the net.

I will give more details on how it is working out on the water later, we are new to the sailign community and have just bought our first sailboat a 34' Hunter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook