SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 35
Thread: Bristol 35
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2001

newuser is on a distinguished road
Bristol 35

Ahhhh. Canuck Canoe. Didn''t they build the Landfill? I take that back. Sail everything, try everything you can. I shouldn''t be disparaging the MacGregor 26 either. It''s served untold thousands over the years. Make your own decisions. Everyone''s got their preferences. I believe you asked about coastal cruising. Different boats for different folks. If you''re going back to the plastic classics, stick with Bristol and Pearson if you''re on a budget. I spent two weeks years ago on the elbow of one of the business'' top surveyors - he designed the Pearson Triton - he told me I couldn''t go wrong with Bristol and he was right. C&C, O''Day, the Taiwan/Hong Kong contingent and even Cape Dory didn''t fare as well out of the blocks from what he''d seen over the years. You buy an old boat, you got $$ to spend to put it in "good" condition. Take your time, learn to "pre-survey," and, above all SEA TRIAL with someone who can get the boat performing. If you wanna race, buy a race boat. Lessee, I believe, not counting going between Cape Cod and up home to Monhegan a couple times, I burned about a tank of fuel in the Bristol 35. Never had a problem with it in light air with a 110 Genny or more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook