SailNet Community - View Single Post - any thoughts on laptops over desk top computers
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
BTW, one of the things that will prolong the life of the computers more than anything else is keeping them running and on all the time. While this can be a problem for your boat's electrical system, by doing so, you cook off the humidity and moisture that leads to corrosion and keep the system's internal components in better shape by doing so.
I suspect that might argue for a micro-ITX or non-fan laptop, because they could be put in the sort of standby mode that would comsume the same power as a handful of LEDs, but which would keep their motherboards and/or cases warm enough to cook off moisture.

Strangely, one of the reasons I am wanting a large battery bank (three to four 8D AGMs) is so I can have the luxury not of running a bigger fridge, but to handle the "phantom power" requirements of running small electronics draws (SSB in receive mode, AIS, radar in "guard" mode, laptop), assuming I've made my amps via solar, wind and occasional alternator charge-ups.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook