SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hanse, Bavaria, Beneteau, Tartan, ... ???
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007

badadim is on a distinguished road
Question Hanse, Bavaria, Beneteau, Tartan, ... ???

I am looking for new 39-45 foot cruiser for 3 years adventure with my wife and two kids (1 and 4 at the start, so 4 and 7 at the end of the journey). Starting east coast and Caribbean, but like to have an option going cross Atlantic or Pacific later. I plan to sell the boat after that with the idea to downsize for summer and weekend on Great Lakes (C&C 99 is in my dreams since its release; I summer-sail J-24 for 6 years now).

90% single-hand as one of us is with the kids. Will try to avoid 25+ knots. For long runs and ocean crossing will hire an experienced sailor. Will equip the boat with options. Safety and comfort are major factors, and then come resale demand and value. Ready for reasonable on-going cost without compromising safety and comfort for money.

After reading postings on this forum I excluded used, custom and low production boats and came to these four brands: Hanse, Bavaria, Beneteau, Tartan. I plan to test-sale different sizes and look at as many models as I can out of these four.

I understand Tartan does not belong to this group, at least this is an impression I got looking at its price. Does it mean this also outperform on qualities and capabilities? What else is different in between these four: purpose, service, warranty, resale, standard features, options available, maintenance?

I also posted a question in this queue comparing center to aft cockpits and after reading replies I am leaning towards center. This filters my list to Beneteau. Am I right? If yes, is this a right move not to conceder other brands because CC is not available there?

Appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook