SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help me find a 40-ish foot pilothouse
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Help me find a 40-ish foot pilothouse

Hey everybody, thanks again for your replies!

Lets call my budget $140,000. My wife and I were talking last night, and somewhat to my surprise, she's on board to spend quite a bit more than I was expecting. I'm the less conservative one with the money around here and am the more boat crazy one, so I didn't protest. We agreed not to spend more on our boat than we did on our house, which was just over 140.

The fisher 37 is a boat we haven't been aboard yet. My wife really likes the look of it from the pictures. I both like it and I don't. I like sturdy, don't get me wrong, but it's a little too much like an icebreaker for a downwind trip in my book. I also think it would be a little too closed up for the warmer climates. In fact, the one in San Diego doesn't even have an external cockpit! I also don't like that they're 35,000lbs (5,000lbs more than my current boat) and also a full keel with a prop in an apeture. Sounds as hard, or harder to dock than what I have.

My wife and I like the nauticat 38 and there are a couple around at the upper end of our price range. What I don't know though is if they have blister issues and if so, what's involved with that. I also don't know if they're safe to take offshore with those big doors and windows. If they're safe to take offshore and don't have hull leprosy, they might be a good candidate. I might like a little more performance, but the wife would buy one in a heartbeat I think.

Off to look at the other suggestions in more detail....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook