SailNet Community - View Single Post - Older Boats-How Long will they Last?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
We really don't know how long a GRP hull can last. They don't really rot. The older hulls, which were often laid up with far heavier schedules than newer boats may well last 70+ years. I don't think that is true of the newer, cored construction hulls—which are subject to far more forms of degradation than the older solid laminate hull are.
My boat is old, by most anyones standards, 43 now. The awe and amasement of bot the surveyor and broker as to how this boat was built said a lot. And now, they were not working together to BS me. It has never had osmosis and i have seen the surveys way back. It has had many upgrades over the years by several owners and in many ways is in far better shape that boats 1/4 it's age. Soon it will get a new barrier coat and thru hulls, just to make sure. Im betting this boat will sill be looking good and sailing far long after Im gone.
Compairing GRP boat hulls to Aluminum aircraft frames is apples and lima beans, not even close enough to be oranges.
Looking at the constuction of some of the newer boats out there, I'll bet my life on my safe old well constructed boat over a plastic bathtub boat any day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook