SailNet Community - View Single Post - Family Day-Sailor (in Colorado)
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2001

arja is on a distinguished road
Family Day-Sailor (in Colorado)

I went from a Boston Whaler 17'' with an open cockpit and cuddy with centerboard based in Cherry creek Reseviour to a Capri 22 with wing keel and cabin capable of sleeping 4 when my daugher and son were born. As you know, many Colorado lakes are quite cold, so stability is most important. Also, my kids enjoy the water, but love to play in the cabin while I can single hand. We are moored in Lake Dillon which requires both a close watch of flukey winds and life jackets are the water is very cold. With a roller furler and self tailing primaries, things work well. It is also a big enough boat with lifelines which I installed netting port and starboard of the cockpit that the kids can enjoy the topsides and foredeck when we choose to motor with the outboard. With very young children, my experience is that one needs a secure, safe environment for them, namely a cabin, a stable boat, and the time to sail safely as well as watch kids. Having a tiller and an outboard, as well as good vistas, Summit County, sems to work well for us. The kids are now 8 and 10, and put sailing on their agendas, while it is also on mine. As to launching and rigging, this is a 2-3 hour effort, including bending on sails, should you be thinking in that direction. Good luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook