SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 36-2 rub rail damage
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007

Paysay is on a distinguished road
Pearson 36-2 rub rail damage

Ouch! My 36-2 was chartered out over the Forth of July holiday and suffered from a little dock rash on the return to home port. My sincere appriciate goes out to the charterer who reported the damage as soon as it happened. Now we need to figure out how to fix that damage and I'm hoping someone in the forum has some useful suggestions.

Damage

The damage to the rub rail occured right at the first stanchion on the port side. There are actually two vinal extrusions, the rub rail itself and the base that the rub rail fits into. This base is then bolted under the teak toe rail. Both pieces are broken through and a short length of the base is pushed through the inside on the toe rail. Damage is limited to about 1 foot of rub rail and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the hull or deck.

Questions

Is there some way to splice in a piece of new rub rail that results in a repair that is virtually as good as new? Where would a replacement rub rail be available? Or, do I need to replace the entire port rub rail to complete a proper repair?

Thanks,
Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook