SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Outboard < 10hp
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Best Outboard < 10hp

I just bought a Yamaha 3 HP two-stroke for my dinghy and have used it a total of 30 minutes so far. Thus, my direct experience is a bit limited. But FWIW the research I did turned up either Yamaha or Honda as the most reliable. One fellow I emailed about a Yamaha called his "the one pull wonder" given how easy it starts. When I picked up the Yamaha, the mechanic who serviced it and showed me how to run it said when I left "I probably will never see you again. That''s the usual case with Yamahas." That told me a lot. His outfit also is a dealer for Johnson and Evinrude I think....something like that. He told me the Yamahas come out of the box ready to start, but not the other ones they sell, which take lots of coaxing.

Also, with all due respect (I''ll scream if I see that again in an email), I think a Nissan is a rebadged Tohatsu, not that it matters. People I talked with either loved them or hated them (Nissans that is.) I also would be surprised if the Nissan 5 HP weighed 22 lbs. The Boat/US catalog lists it at 44 lbs for the 2 stroke, 55 lbs for the 4 stroke.

Oh......the Yamaha two-strokes use a 100:1 oil and gas mix, which is half the oil of others. Less polluting overall. I didn''t want to go to a 4 stroke because of the added weight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook