SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast Corrosion?
Thread: Mast Corrosion?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Surveyors tend to only survey the spars where they can see them, so unless the mast is down or you paid for a full rigging survey, they generally won't comment on corrosion at the top of the mast. At least this is what I've been told. Our aluminum mast had a bunch of corrosion on it. The paint was flaking pretty heavily in certain spots where dissimilar metals had caused galvanic corrosion to occur. We had a rigger do an inspection, and based upon his recommendation we put a reinforced aluminum gooseneck on the boom where the majority of the pitting was occuring. According to the rigger, unless we were to reseal the entire mast, working on individual areas to get rid of corrosion won't make much of a difference. If corrosion has already occured, it will get worse when you get into salt water. We're on Lake Champlain ourselves, having brought our boat from saltwater, and the corrosion on our mast has slowed dramatically.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook