SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 35
Thread: Bristol 35
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2001

MikeMoss is on a distinguished road
Bristol 35

There you have it. A well written song played while some of us dance around the head of a pin.

The requirement is a boat for coastal cruising. The Bristol 35 will be so slow as to not be a lot of fun. It just does not have a tall enough mast.

Take for example my C&C 35-1 that has a solid fibreglass hull by the way and so do the Mark 11''s. My boat has enough sail area to be fun. The SA/DR is 19.2, the PHRF 129 but as a crusing boat they do well as off the wind they are better than 129 and to windward they will stay with most any boat their size except for the J boat types.

So why get a slow boat? There are about 10 reasons so of which are: 1. He didn''t know any better, the salesman said it was a good boat. 2. He is afraid of sailing and really just wants a boat that looks like a sailboat to motor around in. I have the other reasons but am saving them for later in because I don''t want you to laugh too long.

So I challange the buyer to look at some C&C 35-1''s or 35-2''s and report back to us.

In Henersons "Choice Yacht Designs" there are no Bristols! Henderson says this about the C&C3 35 Mark 1 which is a featured boat. "this would be an ideal boat to claw off a lee shore in"

The Bristol 35 is an obsolete design totally unsuitable as a first choice for coastal crusing.

Also if you want to race it there is no way short of a paid crew that you will get anyone to stay with the season. You will finish too late or after dark most evenings. The Bristol 35 is a lot better than most 25'' boats for coasting but that''s about all.

Keep looking. The C&C sites are: www.sailcandc.com and www.cnc-owners.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook