SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast Corrosion?
Thread: Mast Corrosion?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
The original mast of the Vega was relatively thick-walled, so I wouldn't be too concerned, however I'd have to disagree with the idea that only a full reseal of the mast makes sense - corrosion often starts where either dissimilar metals has been in touch OR where something has chipped the mast - It makes very good sense to touch up on those spots, especially in saltwater. As SailingDog stated, since the boat has been lying in freshwater, it is probably galvanic corrosion from a fitting, I would also do as he proposes - in addition to that I'd visually inspect the entire mast for scratches and touch up on those with what we call "poor man’s eloxation" - You can buy different brands of eloxation-paint for aluminum on spray cans for a few bucks, and even if it only improves the appearance of your mast it’s worth it. If you have the time and energy to do a complete “reseal”, you can do that yourself with two-part epoxy paint, but you’ll have to remove all of the fittings + the original eloxation before painting, so it will take a loooong time.
Congrat's on the Vega, it's a tough little boat that can take you anywhere.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook