SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you feel about catamarans?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Once thought to buy a Prout 39. Was impressed how well thought out and well constructed it was. At the time 80-90% of my sailing was single handed and with limited time mostly day sails or short cruises. Found out by my self I would have trouble picking up and rigging to the mooring I had from my town. This would be especially true when the wind was different then current as the boat would be more effected by wind with mono hulls around me would be more effected by current. Also getting in and out of the fuel dock given the limited clearances seemed even more scary then the white knuckle experience it is by yourself on a mono.
Still really liked to ease of setting downwind sails without poles, room. and the lack of draft.
Took a performance cruising tri out ( got it from a friend who sells multi's) with the wife when looking for our "last boat". Put up the rags- immediately was doing double digits and the stays where singing with the tiller vibrating in you hand. I loved it. She hated it. We ended up with a mono.