SailNet Community - View Single Post - A couple of Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
A couple of Questions

1. When sailing straight down wind, It is refered to as 0 Degree angle to the wind, correct?

Why is that not 180 degrees to the wind?
If I am close hauled or beating, in my case, I am around 45 degrees to the wind. Give or take.

As I fall off to a beam reach, I am 90 degrees to the wind.

As I continue to fall off on a broad reach, Im around 120 to 140 degrees off the wind.

But when I sail straight down wind I'm at 0. Why is that not 180? I don't get it. I'm so confused. (Just Kidding) ( I get it)

Next question..... (and the more serious question)

2. If I'm sailing a deep reach, my main sail starts to blanket the Genny.
(I don't have a cruising Asymmetrical: Its very high on my priority list)
(And no pole)

The leach of the Genny is the first thing that spills air.
This happened just last weekend. I am on a cruise and I want to sail the shortest distance between point "A" and point "B".

I tried to go Wing on Wing but I was not quite to that point. I was probably around 140 degrees to the wind.

I always thought you were supposed to sheet in the Genny.
I tried to sheet in the Genny so as not to deal with the leech flapping around, but when I did so, I lost a lot of boat speed.

I just let it go, when she was full, all was good. The little bit of blanketing by the main caused some loss of air on the leech, But I just left it alone.

What do you do?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook