SailNet Community - View Single Post - chrysler boats
Thread: chrysler boats
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2002

DirtManly is on a distinguished road
chrysler boats

Hello,
I believe the history goes a little more like;
When Chrysler decided to get into the boat building industry in the 1960''s, Chrysler bought out a company called Lone Star Boats and took up production of these under it''s own name after a while they started producing there own line of boats. Jeff is quite acurrate on tthe smaller boats.
On the larger sail boats they engaged Halsey Hershoff to design them and i would be willing to wager that you can''t find a breathing soul that owns one who isn''t head over heals in love with it.
I will agree with Jeff that the rudders were there weak spot, that could have been a better design, I made my own rudder out of steel and glass and it worked very well. In my humble opinion they are no more tender than any other swing keel boat and probably a lot less than most. They are 38% ballasted
and thats pretty uncommon in swing keel boats. I had a 26 and i can speak from experience here. When i first bought the boat i was not pleased with how tender it was, then i bought new sails and learned how to trim the sails in heavy air and the problem went away. As with most swing keel boats you can expect to reef the sails a little ealier than you would a boat that has a fixed keel.
These boats are not race boats by any stretch of the imagination. There PHRF rating is 290, this means that if you can see the fleet finish you will correct over them. On the other hand they feel very solid on the water. She''ll plow throw the largest of power boat wakes and you will hardly notice.
If you are looking to daysail or weekend or perhaps a week or two, these are good boats. If you are looking to go around the bouys with the fleet they are not good boats.

If you go to www.trailersailor.com and do a search for Chrysler, then go to the Chrysler Sailing Assoc. They have a wealth of history and other information on these boats.
Good Luck
Dirt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook