SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crossing Gulf of Mexico- alone.
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007

PersevereF28R is on a distinguished road
Not to be a PITA, but I am trying to figure out how a single handing sailboat is supposed to tie off to a platform. Can you spell MOB? Also, even on Galveston Bay we have wind shifts of 180 deg, and that would mean you get to drift into the platform? Crew boats are there to support oilfield operations. Drilling and production operations happen 24/7, although there are some specific operations that are limited to daylight hours. The crew boats cost the oil co's a fortune, and you can bet when they get called into service in the middle of the night, anything tied to them is going to be set adrift.

I do a race from Galveston to Port Aransas - 150 miles down the coast, overnight - each year. The gulf is littered with operating platforms, mostly lit, but not all. Plus some very large gulf shrimpers pulling very long nets, that don't yield to anyone. If you get close, you can bet they will light up your sails with a monster spotlight - and there goes your night vision for the next couple of hours!

Hire a crew. Find someone who needs the ocean miles to keep his captain license valid. That is what most of the delivery captains do here as well. My cat come over from Ft Lauderdal to Galveston Bay last December, with a delivery captain and a crew needing the mileage, plus they made a stop in Tampa Bay to allow a front to pass through.

It's too darn easy to do something stupid like sail into a platform while you are asleep. Don't know what system you have on your boat that would RELIABLY warn you that was about to happen.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook