SailNet Community - View Single Post - how to pull a motor?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Re: how to pull a motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Depending on your access, you can also remove a lot of weight before the lift.. manifolds, Heat Exchangers, alternators, brackets will remove weight and reduce bulk for easing the engine out of the space.. If a rebuild is in the works all that has to come off anyhow.
I kinda want to leave it intact because I have not 'decided' anything and I might want to do a compression test or something before I decide to spring for a rebuild (my cheapness rears its ugly head in odd ways)

today I found a remnant Alum I beam that was perfect and relatively cheap Thought I could make a lifting davit out of it later or something

So I went to harbor freight and got a trolly and chain fall and the damned I beam is a tad too small and so now I'm just agro cuz I spent $200 on this dumb project (with zero result) and feeling cheap about the whole thing (now)

The 1 ton harbor freight trolly is also MASSIVE

I'm thinking I could probably just suspend some iron pipe under the eyes with 3-4 wraps of nylon webbing and call it good - if I was feeling macgyver-y I could prolly weld them together and make my own cheapo I beam (but then I think what a crappy darwin award winning way to die that would be when something snapped)

And then just a pully on the pipe zip line style?

It "seems" like it shouldn't work but I mean I have some 1/8 vectran and tiny harken blocks that can lift my dirt bike into a tree & that stuff's all rated 1000+ lbs MWL

Most of that stuff's got way higher breaking loads than this massive steel trolly What am I missing here?

Last edited by xymotic; 03-20-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook