SailNet Community - View Single Post - turning a sloop rigged cutter into a cutter (different)
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-10-2007 Thread Starter
aurielthirtyfour

Cool turning a sloop rigged cutter into a cutter (different)

When I purchased my (very old) traditional 26 ft. huon pine yacht it was in poor condition. I am now at the stage of finally convincing her not to sink and enjoy life with me as a coastal cruiser and the new yanmar diesel, 32 litre built in fridge and 20 gal. water storage are making it all come to-gether. The low profile mainsail, luff 27.06 ft. / mainsail foot 14 ft. is original, the headsails that were on the boat are not. I avoid at all costs the one /two sail arguments, however more than a few old salts agree she was once a cutter.
Now in possession of a good genoa, set up on a bowsprit furler, plus the No.2 thrown in headsail which came with the vessel and a small (not storm) heavy weather jib I had made, stir my imagination. leaving the genoa set up for use on long trips in light breeze (single handed no spinnaker) as well as setting up a cutter rig inside it on allready fitted castings for anything better than light breeze. My only concern and its a huge one is how do I cut my No. 2 into a yankee? What is the criteria? are there specific angles on the tack and clew? I do not have the heart to ask a sailmaker this question especially as I intend to cut and sew myself.
Thank you in advance
Regards
aurielthirtyfour
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome