SailNet Community - View Single Post - Predicting the wind
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
TJ -- In general, you'll find that wind predictions here in the mid-Atlantic aren't worth a bucket of warm spit for even tomorrow, let alone several days out. Listen to the weather idiots and they will explain that we are right on the border too often of whether a system will go north or south of us. Best assumption in the summer is that the Bermuda high will give us light winds out of the south, unless some front is coming through to change things. Now predicting that change is a whole other ball game.

Example of how maddening it can be here on the northern Chesapeake: Listen to the NOAA radio broadcast for wind speed and direction for places on the water -- Thomas Point, Key Bridge on the Patapsco near Baltimore, Patuxent Naval Air Station, Tolchester. It's not uncommon for wind speeds and directions to be vastly different at each one even though they are all within about 75 miles of each other. The two I listen for the most (Thomas Point and Key Bridge) lately have had winds in different directions and of very different speeds.

In short, it is what it is. Go with the wind you find out there. If you find a forecast for the future, assume it will be wrong. It's part of the challenge of sailing!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook