View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
This just popped up as the Featured Sailboat of the week:

31' Custom steel Brent Swain 31

Volvo MD2 diesel, Balmar high out alternator with ARS 4 multi-stage external regulator. Electronics: Furuno 1623 Radar, Garmin 188C Plotter, Raymarine ST-1000 autopilot, West Marine VHS 600 w/DSC, Si-Tex SSB receiver, BlueSea 13 position distribution panel, Xantrex battery monitor.Lot's of tools spare parts, list too long to list. Just had boat hauled, bottom striped to bare metal, rust treatment, pre-primer, 2 coats primer, 2 coats of anti-fouling paint. New deck painted with anti skid paint.New zinks on hull,shaft, and rudder. Total spent this week $4,000.00 Feb. 10, 2014 Asking price reduced from $25,000.00 to $23,000.00 This is a great boat for a young couple looking for a 2 to 4 year adventure in Carribean. Xenos is located in a rented slip in Marina Majax on Isla Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico The marina is in the best Hurricane hole in the Western Caribbean. The slip rent is $300.00 per month, this includes water and WiFi. Cancun airport to boat is 1 hr. & 15 min.
Located in Isla Mujeres Cancun Mexico, Outside United States.
For information, call: (404) 372-6929
View Contact Information and Full Details »

Length: 31' Year: 1995 Asking: $23,000
For much of my cruising, I never had a diesel , watermaker, SSB ,autopilot, etc. I have used alternators which I got for free out of scrap piles. I have never had a chart plotter, battery monitor or distribution panel, nor 3 stage alternaor regulator. I have only paid for a haul out twice in over 40 years, costing me $200 each time .
As George worked for West Marine while building this boat, he probably got the nicked and dinged items ,which were perfectly good, but couldn't be sold for cosmetic reasons ,super cheap or free.
Suggesting all cruisers will incur the cost of these items, is like suggesting that as one Cadilac has air conditioning and satelite TV, all car owners will incur the cost of them.
Anyone so deceptive is not a good source of any advice.