SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

self tailing winches but what size

10K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I am looking to replace my main winches the ones for the jib sheets this fall. I was looking at self tailing as they seem easier when sailing single handed. My question is how do I determine the size winch to buy. I have a catalina 27 with Lewmar 10's single speed. I think the 10's are small is 16 appropriate for this vessel? Another question is, is it worth getting two speed winches? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Hello,

If you will be sailing shorthanded, Self Tailing winches are definitely the way to go. If your crew is not very strong, 2 speed winches are also very nice. My Newport 28 came with Lewmar 30ST, 2 speed, self tailing, which worked great on that size boat.

Good luck,
Barry

#3 ·
The Lewmar 30ST's would be an excellent choice, but may be a bit pricey for you.

#6 ·
The fuzzy one's right in this case... skimping on winches is generally a false economy. ;)

#8 ·
I'd go with a 16ST one-speed lewmar. :D Going from a 10 to a 16 is a reasonable leap in size...going all the way up to a 30 is a bit overkill. :D

BTW, you can always use Lewmar's winch sizing calculator to figure out if the 16St will work for you.

#11 ·
Getting parts for Barient winches is much harder, since Barient is out of the winch business.

#13 ·
Barient vs Lewmar (and Anderson, Harken, etc.)

Hello,

I would put Barient winches at the bottom of the list because there is only one company left on earth that sells parts for them. Hutton-Arco, in Australia
HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches
has the parts and the tools. If you need Lewmar parts there are many places that have them in stock. If you need Barient parts (don't ask me how I know) it will be at least a month before you get them.

Regarding single speed vs two speed, that is up to you. If you have a 150 genoa, and expect your wife to trim it in, I suggest the two speed. If your largest headsail is a 130 or so, and you will do the trimming, then the single speed would be OK. How long do you plan on keeping the boat? You won't get the money back when you sell, but if you will keep it for a long time, you will appreciate the winches everytime you trim the sail.

Barry

#14 ·
Is there any downside in buying a lewmar 16st aluminum finishing versus the chrome finish besides cosmetics?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|3071|311600|311606&id=3037

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|3071|311600|311606&id=3054

#17 ·
We have 30st Lewmars in anodized aluminum finish and wish they were chrome. I suppose they both perform the same, but those inevitable stains left from winch lube and buffing splatters from fiberglass polishes and compounds, are very tough to get out.

#18 ·
Another thing to consider with winching is the Winch Handle. I've been using nothing but the big Harken Ball Bearing handles with the ball bearing door knobs on top for a few years and it's a big difference especially when single handing. Another added expense at around $90 but just reach down, grab that door knob, crank it in, and you'll appreciate the difference ;)

#22 ·
Barient winches are great winches, but no longer in business. They were purchased by Lewmar at which time Lewmar incorparated most of the Barient design into their ST winch series. I've got a non-self tailing pair of Barient 26 going up on ebay tomorrow. I loved them, but single handing here so had to move to Lewmars 40ST for my 39 Ketch.

#23 ·
LWinters-

Again... Barient was bought out by Arco-Hutton in Australia, not Lewmar.... AFAIK, Lewmar has nothing to do with Barient.

#24 ·
sailingdog said:
LWinters-

Again... Barient was bought out by Arco-Hutton in Australia, not Lewmar.... AFAIK, Lewmar has nothing to do with Barient.
I think it was actually Barlow and Barient who combined and then they both when belly up. Hutton-Arco didn't so much as buy them out as much as buy up the leftovers, they did the same thing with Maxwell.

#25 ·
Fuzzy one... good point...but Lewmar had nothing to do with either. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.