SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Smack- Problem is g-d forbid owner actually wants to insure the boat they spent time and money on and go ocean voyaging ( which he says is target audience). With information provided I think they will have great difficulty. I don't see any CE-A or other certification. So I got to believe an owner would be faced with great difficulty getting insurance. So as pointed out by others info on web site not compatible with reality. Know for myself I would never take any boat, even a Brent Boat, out of sight of land without some factual reassurance it could handle severe weather. It's striking when I was looking at steel boat for myself these statistics where made available and generated in a professional manner that would be accepted by a third party. When I spoke with insurance brokers I was re assured there would be no major issue procuring insurance. As you know without insurance increasingly your cruising opportunities are becoming more and more limited as well as the inability to finance the boat. Even at 25k this is real money. Especially for those still working for a living and not living off the land.