SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question about marine diesels
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2002

jparker11 is on a distinguished road
Question about marine diesels

Brad,
I am just south (Utah)of you putting the finishing touches on rebuilding a Cal 2-27 with a little Farymann diesel. I also have three turbodiesel trucks in the company. The basic engines are the same. However, the things that generally fail in marine engines are very different than the failure modes of truck engines. The principal difference is the cooling system. I think books could be written on how to screw up a marine cooling system - strainer plugs, heat exchanger fouling, water backflow into the exhaust manifold....... And heat, or the excess thereof, is the bain of diesels of any type. The next big item is fuel quality and what sailors can do to destroy it. Because marine fuels stay resident in the vessel for much longer periods of time, more opportunity to contaminate.

You might think your cruising inclinations odd for Idaho. But I am working on the Cal in a hangar in small general aviation airport. With the door open, I have come across three other landlocked sailors prepping boats for coastal cruising. One just completed the Newport Ensenada race!!!

John Parker
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook