SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Lots of room on the ocean for different talents, techniques and imaginative skills. This thread pretty well runs the gamut even if it wanders greatly. If one has the money ,one can buy most any talent etc. If the budget or inclination requires some ingenuity then some imagination in the recycle /reconfigure department can be the ticket.Some of us(me included) take real joy in building our boats and its parts from what some scorn as the local refuse centre. For you completely unskilled and unimaginative' Sailors' who don't know pot metal from bronze or lignum vita from hemlock let me tell you that better stuff was thrown away than you can find at your fancy new stuff store. The skill and imagination to do what Brent and I have done successfully and with considerable satisfaction for 38 years is something that that others may not want to emulate but to not be able to understand, well that's just sad. Just keep your shelf stocking job so you can pay the moorage on your dunky plastic and don't lose the dream of maybe really going sailing one day.