SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starboard has rights! I saw a nice crash tonight
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt
You mention that the collision occured at a mark. Perhaps the Catalina thought he could call buoy room on the O'Day even though it doesn't appear as if normal race rules applied (i.e. it looks like the only Right of Way rule was Starboard Tack)

I'm not sure how the Catalina got where it was, but the Oday, (starboard tack boat), was coming in full speed to the wind, to take the marker on it's port, jibe around and set the spinnaker, when the Catalina came through the downwind traffic, on a port tack, with no real chance of taking the buoy; I assume they had missed the mark the first time around and where circling back to try again. Either way, they should have seen the Oday coming, as it had been on the same tack for quite a while, right in front of me.

It was a pretty loud crunch and the Catalina looked pretty bad afterwards; the jib was shredded and flapping, the lifelines hung loose and about a foot of the rail was splintered. The hull looked okay, but they were done for the night. I did find it odd that the Oday didn't pull out of the race to speak with the damaged boat, just out of courtesy, but the Oday kept going and finished the race. This is definitely a beer can race, and it's very rare to hear anyone protest, (expect maybe about running out of ice or something).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook