SailNet Community - View Single Post - Limit of Positive Stability (LPS)
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Limit of Positive Stability (LPS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"as defined within English speaking ship and boat design community, by definition tender and stiff only refer to form stability."
So, where do dynamic stability and inherent stability factor into form stability?

As best I can recall, tender and stiff have always been used to refer to the overall stability of a vessel, without regard to when or how the vessel was heeling. Have I just been reading/hearing too many sloppy authors?
it's really funny how the way different people use different words can really affect the way we understand what is being said....and there is a huge tendency for people to use words in slightly different ways.

i have always heard tender and stiff used in relation to initial stability. so, when i hear them, that's what i think of. you get a completely different meaning from those words. you'd think that the existence of dictionaries that standardize the meanings of words would eliminate such different interpretations but, it doesn't seem to work that way in very many situations.

i used to have this thing about how many different meanings can be conveyed with the word 'yeah', based solely on how it was said. there's tons of different meanings such a small word can convey.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook