SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plotting A Course: Lake Erie to Lake St. Clair
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Plotting A Course: Lake Erie to Lake St. Clair

Going by the subjects, this appears to be the right sub-forum, so...

Within the next couple weeks or so, my wife and I hope we'll be bringing our new-to-us boat home. We'll be coming up from the North Cape Yacht Club (adjoining the Toledo Beach Marina), up the Detroit River, most of the way up Lake St. Clair, to a private slip off a canal just south of the Clinton River.

I have the Erie, Detroit River and St. Clair Richardson's, a St. Clair chart and a Garmin 498 (which I hope to have installed before departing). I'm thinking of picking up Detroit River and Lk. Erie charts, as well.

The trip is too long to take in one day. (We don't want to be attempting the canals and the unfamiliar slip in the dark, dead beat tired.) We plan on over-nighting in a transient slip on the Detroit River. Pier 500 looks good. (Any other suggestions are welcome.) That's be about the half-way point, looks like.

I've got a tentative plot figured out, but not plotted (either on the charts or on the GPS). It goes like this:
  • Out of NCYC on a (roughly) northeasterly course, after clearing the shallows out of the marina, to the Detroit River Light.
  • Up the channel, bearing to starboard into the Amherstburg Channel. (Have a print-out from a web page entitled "River" that says that channel is for NB traffic, the Livingston Channel for SB traffic. Why doesn't the chart indicate that?)
  • Into the (combined) Ballards Reef Channel after passing Bois Blanc Island (Bob-Lo).
  • Bear to port along the northeastern end of Grosse Ile and the eastern side of Pt. Hennepin (don't see a channel name there), over to the Trenton Channel and up to Pier 500.

Day Two
  • Out of the marina, up the remainder of the Trenton Channel and back into the Detroit River proper.
  • Past Belle Isle on the Canadian side, and out onto Lk. St. Clair.
  • A generally NNE course up to a point near Metro Beach, where a friend of mine will rendezvous with us and lead us in to the slip.
Have I got it generally right?

(I'm going to try to get this charting/course/plotting thing down well enough, and pick up dividers and a pair of triangles, so I can do the course segments manually, verifying my results with the GPS.)

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook