SailNet Community - View Single Post - Plotting A Course: Lake Erie to Lake St. Clair
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007

wescarroll is on a distinguished road
You got most of it right, you have to allow for the current, and leave early to reach Trenton before waning daylight. There are spots near the Detroit light that the charts show shoaling though I have never had a problem there, I tend to get into the channels early and stay there. I have sailed this trip several times in my oday 30 (I was at Toledo Beach for 6 years, now at BVYC in Toledo, Oh), and my old charts show the traffic direction as you have stated, my experience also. Watch out for the recreational boaters here, as they will go any direction at any time with out looking for any one sailboats or freighters, and the river is a bit constricting at times. . Also look back for freighters as they seem to come out of nowhere from behind. Be careful at the north end of Grosse Isle, as the channels meet oddly and there may be shallows. There are several yacht clubs in the area, and one of those might be able to help you with an over night slip, a couple on Grosse Isle (the Grosse Isle Yacht Club comes to mind) and a few more on the mainland.

You must pass Belle Isle on the Canadian side if you are in a sailboat, as the Belle Isle Bridge has very limited clearance, and stay in the channel to the canadian side. When you pass I think it is called Peache island and the range light you should be able to set a course for Metro Beach, but again you will be pushing it to get there during bright daylight. I am no good to you past Harsens Island as I have always gone up the St Claire river at this point.

Good luck, and have fun. Keep your fuel tanks full as once you pass downtown Detroit it is a bit difficult to get fuel. It is a very interesting trip, but not really what you would call scenic. Wes Carroll

Last edited by wescarroll; 07-12-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook