SailNet Community - View Single Post - Limit of Positive Stability (LPS)
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Limit of Positive Stability (LPS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Jack:
I think you look at any number you can find on your bat. Don't put to much importance on any one number. Look for numbers that jump out at you as being out of whack and investigate why. For instance if your boat had an AVS of 100 degs you may want to take a look at why the number is so low. Seaworthyness can't be represented as a number.
that is the picture i am getting from the posts in this thread.

Quote:
Your Cal 27 AVS is right on textbook "normal" but it is a very static number derived from contrived static conditions that absolutely have no similarity to the dynamic situation you would be in when you could be heeled that far. In all ways your boat is very "normal" and I would not worry at all about it's seaworthyness if it is well kept.
that's good to hear. i just bought this boat and there isn't really much of anything that you can find, on line, about it's characteristics. in prior years, i did my sailing on a largish lake in Pa. in my dinghy, i was the only one at risk. and i was never in a situation where i was worried about my holiday 20, even when the wind got up. now i sail in the chesapeake bay. when i am in the dinghy, i am the only one at risk but, my girlfriend ( who has never been in any boat before ) will be sailing with me, on the cal, and i am responsible for her safety. the bay is known for sudden bad conditions so, seaworthiness of the 'new' boat is a concern.

Quote:
For my money tender and stiff refer to a boat's overall stability characteristics and not initial stability. However, initial stability would be part of that picture.
thanks for your input

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook