SailNet Community - View Single Post - any thoughts on laptops over desk top computers
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
I own my laptop just over one year now. My first criteria was to find one that would offer a world wide warranty. Not the kind where you have to ship it back, but had offices all over the world and if I had a problem I could take it to the local place. While several offered world wide warranty, only IBM allows me to take it to a store in the country that I am in at the time it screws up.
I ended up with an IBM Z60M and so far I am very satisfied with it. MISTRESS is a very dry boat below, and the laptop does not go on deck, therefore I have not had a problem with salt air/water. I also have a Pelican Case and like that fact it will float 100 lbs if need be, and did the foam cut outs to fit the sat phone and the laptop. When not put away in the case, the laptop is mounted via RAM MOUNT in my office which is starboard of the foremast. So far, so good.
I did get an extended warranty, and will be sending it off for a tune up in the next week or two. I want to make sure all is working perfectly before we head out up the east coast of US, and later to the Caribbean.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook