SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maiden Voyage Newbie Trainwreck
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Maiden Voyage Newbie Trainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
...with all due respect to the prior posters, I gotta disagree with the value of a handheld VHF with DSC, or a RAM mike. Personally, I think that your dollars are better spent on a fixed VHF with DSC, and a handheld floating VHF without DSC for the cockpit... I like carrying a handheld VHF (sans DSC) that floats, for redundancy and near shore communications...
I have no issues with the philosophy of using the handheld as primary cockpit radio, and the fixed radio for high-power emergency communications. But why is it so important that the handheld not have DSC? If you can get one with DSC/GPS for and additional $25-50 above the typical $100 floating handheld, why not just get it?

I second your concerns about the antenna/wiring/connectors possibly being shot. That needs to be addressed before spending any money on a new fixed VHF. In the meantime, if you want to sail while you're planning a larger project to address the antenna/fixed VHF issues, just buy a handheld to get yourself going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook