SailNet Community - View Single Post - Storm Jibs
Thread: Storm Jibs
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Storm Jibs

i have had the opportunity,unfortunately, to have my storm sails up a number of times.
both sails have the sheets attached and marked in the sail bag. it is also important to mark the head tack and clew on the sail with magic marker ( both sides of the sail) the worst thing that can happen to one of these sails is to get a twist or hooked up wrong in a blow.

on passages i keep the storm staysail in a bag attached to the stay and ready to go.

we use a single line as a sheet with a simple loop at the clew of the sails.

it is also important to have dedicated cars, and blocks set up and ready to go when the stuff hits the fan.

tying knots and finding the proper lead for a sail should be done at the dock and not at sea. when the wind is really howling the sail leads wind up rubbing against the oddest things. we have leather chaffe gear that is held closed by velcro. this has come in handy a number of times. one tine the trysail sheets were rubbing on the edge of our hard top dodger. when we got into bermuda we had the sailmaker put a longer tack lead on the sail to clear the dodger. also make sure that your sails are well up the mast and stay . when you drop down in a big trough ,if the sails are low, you loose all of your drive.

also make sure that your trysail track comes almost down to the deck.

eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook