SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1967 Irwin 37 cc with exhaust problem
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 07-12-2007 Thread Starter
Irwin37mkIV

Thanks Essman for your info.

I agree with your comments/concern about exhaust backpressure as a result of discharging 2' below the water line. I just can't imagine why a 2 inch dia. thru-hull would be installed there (and capped) with a hatch in the floor directly above if it wasn't used for the exhaust originally?

The '76 Irwin has 2 steps down to the aft hall from the main salon. To discharge the exhaust below that hall floor (with minimum clearance), the thru-hull has to be located 2' below W/L. Discharge at W/L inherantly introduces an other loop with water in it all the time.

Correct me, but I think the newer Iwrin (i.e. 83s) were beamier ~ 13' (much nicer boat too!), and therefore had a lot more room in the engine compartment to accomodate the muffler on the port side of the engine? The '76 has a 11.5' beam and no room for muffler on port side, hence the double cross over. I was tempted to reroute the discharge to sterm, but seem to be stuck with having to go below the floor which means a wet loop below the floor if I want to discharge at W/L. Only other option (unless I hear differently) is to discharge well below the waterline? I've considered discharging midship on starboard side at W/L, but am unsure how to get through the galley or aft washroom with reasonable estetics. Has anyone tried that?
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome