SailNet Community - View Single Post - Navigation/Charting/Plotting Tools?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 07-12-2007
leffklm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim
I briefly tried to find dividers at the Weems & Plath site. Ironically, I found their site difficult to navigate! Perhaps I need to download their catalogue?

Thanks, Leff. Do you have a suggestion for lead hardness and, since you use a mechanical pencil (I've always preferred them) thickness?

Jim

These are the dividers that I use. I use it almost exclusively with the pencil lead in one of the arms (for marking off distances on the chart) instead of dual steel points. I haven't tried the ones that SD mentions, but they can be bought from Weems and Plath also.

Weems Plath Nautical Products; Commercial Grade Marine Navigation Tools and Gifts for Boating Enthusiasts

I haven't paid much attention to the lead hardness or thickness, but like SD mentions, softer leads will be easier on the charts. I tend towards thinner leads since I find it hard to be accurate with thicker lines (0.5mm is nice).

I learned coastal nav. with the ASA 105 text (by Tom Tursi or something like that). I wasn't blown away by the quality of the book, but it got the job done.

Regards,

Leff
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome