SailNet Community - View Single Post - Navigation/Charting/Plotting Tools?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007
Banned

leffklm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim
I briefly tried to find dividers at the Weems & Plath site. Ironically, I found their site difficult to navigate! Perhaps I need to download their catalogue?

Thanks, Leff. Do you have a suggestion for lead hardness and, since you use a mechanical pencil (I've always preferred them) thickness?

Jim

These are the dividers that I use. I use it almost exclusively with the pencil lead in one of the arms (for marking off distances on the chart) instead of dual steel points. I haven't tried the ones that SD mentions, but they can be bought from Weems and Plath also.

Weems Plath Nautical Products; Commercial Grade Marine Navigation Tools and Gifts for Boating Enthusiasts

I haven't paid much attention to the lead hardness or thickness, but like SD mentions, softer leads will be easier on the charts. I tend towards thinner leads since I find it hard to be accurate with thicker lines (0.5mm is nice).

I learned coastal nav. with the ASA 105 text (by Tom Tursi or something like that). I wasn't blown away by the quality of the book, but it got the job done.

Regards,

Leff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook