SailNet Community - View Single Post - "The 2 happiest days of a boatowners life are..."
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014

aelkin is on a distinguished road
Re: "The 2 happiest days of a boatowners life are..."

Fau;
That's great!
I'm happy you feel this way today...it's not like that old adage applies to 2 consecutive days.
I still think of my current boat every day as well...and it still makes me as happy as it makes you. However, I have an old boat sitting on a cradle, too. 2 years ago, it made me happy...and then I got a new boat that makes me happier still!
The old boat is costing me $1000 a year in storage. Her value is depreciating every month, and I'm worried about water, dirt, engine, paint, and myriad other things that might be going wrong.
The day I sell her will be almost as happy as the day I bought her....and that, I think, is the point of the expression.

I'm sure that someday, I'll want to get rid of my current boat, and I may not want to replace her. On that day, I hope someone is sad, because I will be giving up a great lifestyle...but I suspect that if I'm ready to do that, I'll be just as happy to part with her as I was to buy her in the first place...again - the adage rings true.

Food for thought.

Andy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook