Thread: CS36 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014

JulieMac is on a distinguished road
Re: CS36 Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast2tack View Post

The Merlin is a whole other "animal".

Raymond Wall design (Trad.) of Camper & Nicholson fame vs. Tony Castro design (Merlin). The Merlin is a "pan" boat and has had problems with "shifting" or "cracking" as a result of the mast "butt" stressing the pan and it manifests in a nice crack on the starboard salon settee bunk. Just lift up the cushion and most have some signs of stress or complete failure in that area.

Of note is the fact that Merlin's are now priced the same as Traditionals in the current market. Back in 2008 Merlins were selling for close to a $100K in the last 5 years they have dropped down to around $60K the same as a well equipped CS 36 Traditional.

The Merlin offers a "euro" look and an interior closer to what the market is currently looking for BUT the Traditional is a better built boat.....hands down.
Just ask "Boatpoker" a well respected expert Marine Surveyor or "Mainesail" who has the most beautifully "reno'd" CS 36 T I have ever seen.
Hi, Fast2Tack. Don't have enough posts to PM you. Thanks for the info, and I will call. Essentially, I was asking if you know anything about the CS 40's. Are they the same construction as the Merlins, or more robust? Did they have this same pan construction and stress cracking issues?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook