SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you feel about catamarans?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohns View Post
Most importantly cat operators should deploy sea anchors early, shouldn't run with drogues if the forecast is bad and a sea anchor is likely. Several cats have capsized running towing drogues and have also had rudders fouled by drogue lines .
I think we know where you stand, so I won't argue that. I've sailed cats for 30 years, understand the feel, and marvel at ANYONE who sails anything without substancial small boat experience; that is my rant. For example, the cat that capsized in 30 knots was almost certainly a victim of appallingly poor seamanship. That's just a fresh day on my 34' cat!. But I reef and use good sense.

But specifically, what is your case against a drogue? Some, with huge doors in the back, are obvious. But do you have some more general reasoning? I've used a drogue on a cat with a high transom and believe it can be the very best answer for suitable boats. The word suitable implies a transom that can shed waves, as many can.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook