SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you feel about catamarans?
View Single Post
post #259 of Old 03-25-2014
pdqaltair

Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohns View Post
Most importantly cat operators should deploy sea anchors early, shouldn't run with drogues if the forecast is bad and a sea anchor is likely. Several cats have capsized running towing drogues and have also had rudders fouled by drogue lines .
I think we know where you stand, so I won't argue that. I've sailed cats for 30 years, understand the feel, and marvel at ANYONE who sails anything without substancial small boat experience; that is my rant. For example, the cat that capsized in 30 knots was almost certainly a victim of appallingly poor seamanship. That's just a fresh day on my 34' cat!. But I reef and use good sense.

But specifically, what is your case against a drogue? Some, with huge doors in the back, are obvious. But do you have some more general reasoning? I've used a drogue on a cat with a high transom and believe it can be the very best answer for suitable boats. The word suitable implies a transom that can shed waves, as many can.

Writing full-time since 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome