SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fixed vs. Folding Props: How Much Difference?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
Keep the folding prop, your boat will perform much better as a sailboat than with the fixed prop. The lost of power is maybe 10%.
That seems to be the consensus.

Quote:
If you ever have to go against 2-4 kn current for 32-40 miles in a 30 foot sailboat, stay home.
Here is a Landsat image of Lake St. Clair, the lake upon which we'll be docked. (Compliments of WikiPedia.)

LSC is 26 miles long at its longest, 24 miles wide at its widest. Much of it is not navigable by sailboats due to lack of depth. See those rivers to the NE and SW? Those are the St. Clair and Detroit Rivers (they're really straits). They're 40 and 32 miles long, respectively. You have to use them to get in and out of LSC. In a boat, anyway. On the water. So, it's either stay in LSC or deal with their currents. I'll deal .

Quote:
FWIW one way to duck the currents where the shore line permits, is get into shallow water along the shore where the current dies out...
Thanks for the hint. Yes, I've heard of that before. That's why I wrote "2-4 kts," instead of "4 kts": It depends on where you are in the river. Same with the St. Clair River, tho on that one there is at least one spot with a 6 kt surface current. (I think I'll just avoid that .)

In fact: I'm told that, on the St. Clair River, if you stick to the sides, there's actually a "reverse current" in some parts.

Btw: See that bit of land sticking out near the upper left? We'll be docked very close to that.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook